Toast Martinborough is almost here – and we’re looking forward to seeing you.
Here’s a quick reminder of some of the things you need to know about the festival, and a glimpse of other events happening in the neighbourhood before the Big Day. How about heading our way a day or two earlier for a little extra excitement?
Toast Martinborough – things you need to know
- If you’re a Toast first-timer, check out our First Festival page for tips on getting the most from this amazing event.
- Please don’t bring alcohol or your own picnic. Bags will be checked, and you won’t be able to take it with you.
- When you arrive at the festival you’ll be given a wristband to wear. It’s part of your entry pass, so you’ll need to show it at every vineyard you visit.
- While you’re at the festival, make sure you nominate your favourite dish for the Dish Local Flavours Award. You’ll go into the draw for some great prizes, including a year’s subscription to Dish magazine and a Le Cordon Bleu New Zealand short course for two.
And if you have a smartphone, we recommend that you download the free Toast Martinborough app and sign up to Facebook and Twitter updates. As well as providing an interactive programme and the latest festival information, the app highlights where you are, and where you can go next, at any time during the day. You can also use it to enter your nomination for the Dish Local Flavours Award!
Events during the weekend
Wairarapa is always a great place to visit, with plenty to see and do. Here’s a taste of special events planned for next weekend…
On Friday 16 November:
- The official launch of wine writer Joelle Thomson’s The Wild Bunch. The book features movers and shakers from New Zealand’s wine industry, including our very own Larry McKenna from Escarpment and Clive Paton from Ata Rangi.
- The Martinborough Wine Centre’s Consumers Choice Award. This is your opportunity to taste and assess 12 local Pinot Noir wines, with the winner going through to the competition final in December.
On Saturday 17 November:
- The annual Barrel Race around The Square – come and cheer on the competitors: barrel-wheeling vineyard teams and barrel-pushing business people. There's also a guest team in the vineyard race that includes some of our Olympic rowers!
- Martinborough Rugby Club’s ‘Party Marty’ – a family concert featuring live music from Eagles tribute band ‘Life in the Fastlane’, great food and lots of family-friendly activities.
- ‘A Toast before Toast’ – a sumptuous lunch in the sun at luxury lodge Wharekauhau Country Estate.
See you on Sunday – travel safely, and remember to bring your sunglasses, your party shoes and your ticket!